Wednesday, March 2, 2011

FATHERS and DAUGHTERS

You lean over wood
as if dying -
but my arm supports
you – my love
connects - arm to arm
I feel it under my
skin – it flows through
my blood – and this
power I have I share
with you.

Your eye’s talk for you,
and I understand where
you have been – where
you still want to be -
but as you lean on
wood – watch as your
mouth sucks in air – those
eye’s feel the edge of
life – they look smaller
as if – you are
disappearing.

You bring tears to my
eyes - yet I turn, hide as
if a child – not wanting a
friend to see my true
feelings – tears because
I see the man who
pushed my swing – who
guided me as I slid down
a slide – who had tears in
his eye’s when I wore
white, and placed a penny
in my shoe.

Your pain I feel it too
and want to lean on wood
for you – for us – for
all the years you – were
my pillar - of my life
and now I search for help
to make you smile – as
a child searches for a
playmate on a deserted
street.

You know - I know your
friends are gone – left you
alone, but you are filled
by their love deep inside
your heart -
love – never changes,
it only grows deeper,
thicker, stronger, as roots
of a tree – as roots spread
beneath the ground – our
ground – our life – as I grab
your arm – take a few more
steps and search for the
pillar you need -
to stay alive - today.

Nancy Duci Denofio
all rights reserved @2011

1 comment:

Jessica Kristie said...

This hit deep Nancy! So beautiful and heartfelt. ♥